Monday, February 06, 2006

Germany - Day 1 on the Zine

I had to take a picture of this toilet stall. This toilet was almost square - the flush button is that nicely shaped silver button on the wall. Hey, it did the job!! Posted by Picasa


Another building preserved through WWII - now they host major plays and broadway shows Posted by Picasa


Can you imagine squeezing four or five people in this little car? Wow, I saw another that was half this size that allowed 2 people to sit in it. The guy driving it filled up the entire space. Amazing engineering! Posted by Picasa


Cool bikes, huh - they were all the old school types and there were hundreds everywhere. Posted by Picasa


I followed a group of Germans into a Galleria and up the 5 levels of escalators. I read a Germany for Dummies book for 1/2 hour, didn't buy it at $33, and ended up on the top of the building where several where outside taking pictures. I fumbled through the words to offer to a German couple to take their picture, and then I handed them my camera without a word. They knew what to do. I mumbled danka (thank you) and we parted. That was the pattern of my afternoon. I spent 4 hours by myself touring. Posted by Picasa



Here is a huge statue in Frankfurt. I think it represents manufacturing efforts - I learned today that Frankfurt is the biggest banking city in the EU - ~483 banks. All that money funds the large buildings. Interestingly, this is a huge slab of metal, 12 inches thick. The hand touching the head moves up and down every few seconds. Posted by Picasa

This was another picture from the top of the Galleria looking down past the plaza at an old church - in WWII, most of Frankfurt was leveled except for these churches. Amazingly, many of them were preserved. You can see it here how it sticks out from the surroundings. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

chris, you should try beligian waffles while you're there. Mmm... waffles.

b-ryce said...

I can imagine you, with a smile on your face, just handing the camera over, without a word, that is great.
Is it cloudy or is that smog?