Sunday, February 12, 2006

Denmark - Day 5 and 6

While I saw awesome sites in Italy, my visit to Denmark, in a way, felt like home. Over the course of the two days, I was amazed how it seemed that the people looked so much like me. I saw blonde and fair skinned people all over - Theirs was an incredibly green land even though the temperature must have been in the low 40s and the land was clean and sectioned off and I hardly saw any trash. I saw large stands of forest after every couple of fields - a reforestation project, Bent Hogsted told me.

I spent the first half day seeing Aahrus sites and catching up with Jan and his family. Jan and I spent the first couple of hours strolling the streets and shops of the downtown. It was like we were 18 again and we had such a fun time catching up. We then went to dinner with Luisa, his girlfriend



and ate a delicious Danish dish of pork, potatoes and gravy. The pork was cured and tasted like delicious bacon.



On the walk downtown, I was amazed how public people are. The apartments are at least 4 stories high and small and no one used blinds anywhere. I was fascinated to look across the street and see people in heated conversations and all up and down the street, young couples were sitting down for candle lit dinners. It was almost romantic. Here, I sneaked a shot of this couple



The next morning, Bent and Marianne prepared a wonderful traditional Danish breakfast of cheeses, meats and breads. The meat with the dark center is pork with pepper and the redish meat seemed to be a smoked pork. Both were very new tastes to me.



I watched Jan play soccer that afternoon, bought some gifts and then went back to the Hogsted's for a family dinner and evening chat around the traditional bowl of candy. It was great fun. In the pictures are Jan's kids, Victoria and Oliver



Bent and Kim (Jan's older brother)



and Hele (sorry for the bad spelling), Kim's wife.



Marianne, Oliver and me



It was a fabulous visit and ended with a quick snapshot of a life size Star Wars figure made out of Leggos which originate in Denmark.

1 comment:

Scott and Natalie said...

Chris, looks like you had an amazing trip! The thing I like most is how you captured the food! This is a total guy thing. It is my favorite subject and Natalie usually laughs at me when I talk about food as a highlight of a trip!