Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Crazy Reno Fires

The last 3 days have been crazy here in Reno. We have had a massive fire on the southwest side of town burning more than 1000 acres of brush and forest and burning north to the road edge and even burning a few fences. Luckily no homes were burned but I was startled to know that two of my co-workers live in the neighborhood that was evacuated and for the first 36 hours, thick smoke boiled over the homes and waffed throughout the Washoe valley. We are far enough up on the foothill and North from the fire that we weren't too affected but I grabbed a few photos from our upstairs balcony of the fire.



Here is a zoom photo of the flames



Later that night I captured the flames under the dark sky - it was a bit spooky to see the bright orange flames

No comments: