It was a breath-taking experience and super fun. Our kids were great. Sarah packed lots of goodies and we had incredible vistas.
We drove 3 hours on Friday and stopped at Lee Vining. The kids love hotels and turned each bed into a trampoline. Once they went to bed, I went over for some yummy barbecue meat. I liked the taste until it got cold and I had to gnaw it off the bone. Darn't! It ruined the experience.
Well, next day we started at 5:50 am. We were all bright eyed except for Sarah. We left by 7 am and drove 2.5 hours to Yosemite proper. We saw the Yosemite falls and visitor center and took a number of wandering trips and took lots of photos.
The best part was yet to come - we left the valley floor and climbed some 4000 feet in 30 minutes to Glacier Point at about 9000 feet. Thank heavens for Sienna, our trusty van. I can't imagine climbing that by foot.
Here is our incredible panoramic view of Half Dome from there [click on the image for the really large view]

Oh, and we saw some 50 or so climbers on the top of Half Dome through a telescope. It was nuts
Here is a view of the valley floor just to the West of the Half Dome. The green down below is where we were 30 minutes previously

Lastly, we headed to the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias and snagged a picture of this giant - It is several photos stitched together which explains the rough edge.

This picture was crazy too - you can drive a small car through this and amazingly, the tree is still alive and growing.
Here is one of Levi taking a mid-day snooze on some cute girl's back
This is a picture of the root system on these trees which goes 6-8 feet deep but up to 250' in diameter.
Finally, here is a picture slide show of all these pictures and more

9 comments:
COOL! you guys are spontaneous!! I remember when Dave and I used to be like that. nice pictures.
Wow!!! That is beautiful. Looks like you guys had so much fun. Your family is so cute. Love ya!
That is beautiful. I totally want to go sometime this summer.
We went to Yosemite just two weeks ago! We drove through the whole park in one (LONG) day. It is beautiful and I couldn't believe that people were actually climbing those huge rock formations! My favorite thing was seeing Yosemite falls. Glad you guys had a great time and love the pics!
sounds like so much fun AND beautiful. you have the cutest fam! can't wait to see you in less than 2 months now! yea! kate
I remember going there with my family when I was little. Looks like you guys had lots of fun. By the way, you have been tagged. Check out my blog for the questions.
Wow..the pictures are georgeous! You certainly have found many beautiful things to go and do! Still wish we lived closer....your family is so SUPER duper cute!!!
Your family goes on great adventures!! Hey- your sister-in-law Amber used to cut my hair in Meridian. Crazy!! It's a small world. Cute blog too!!
Just found your blog and it's great to check in on you guys. Here's the link to ours if you're interested: http://www.djludlowland.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment